Sunday, May 15, 2011

Making a Book Trailer

I’m currently unraveling the mystery behind the newest marketing tool for authors, the Book Trailer. I saw my first one last summer for a book called Beautiful Creatures by Garcia and Stohl. As my first experience I thought the trailer was amazing, after some critiques from some art peeps I was later informed that it’s meh. J
 Beautiful Creatures
But, I’m not deterred, especially with the help of Ed and Erin. The publishing industry says book trailers are the new preview, and YouTube is our free passport to them. Lots of authors like me, with no film or movie-making experience are using basic applications to create their own masterpieces (i.e., MovieMaker or iMaker). The basic rules are choose a theme, keep it short (30-90 seconds), and entice the reader by sticking to our stories, give the readers a sense of what to expect when they open the cover. And most importantly, include the book cover and release date, website, and story snippets.
I’m working on pulling some plot revealing lines from A Marked Past that will lay out the story line without revealing the entire plot. Author, Amanda Hocking, does this extremely well in her book trailers (Switched, Letters to Elise). Take a look and let me know what you think of these.  I'm going to working with E2 Iover the next month or so and I'll share mine here too! 
Letters to Elise: A Peter Townsend Novella (My Blood Approves)
Here are some other links that I’m using to get ideas and advice:

No comments:

Post a Comment